Posted by IanWatson
Some say the only constant thing in this world is change — and that seems to go double for the online marketing and SEO industry. At times this can seem daunting and sometimes insurmountable, but some have found ways to embrace the ambiguity and even thrive on it. Their paths and techniques may all differ slightly, but a commonality exists among them.
That commonality is the utilization of data, mainly via API-driven custom tools and dashboards. APIs like Salesforce’s Chatter, Facebook’s Graph, and our very own Mozscape all allow for massive amounts of useful data to be integrated into your systems.
So, what do you do with all that data?
The use cases are limitless and really depend on your goals, business model, and available resources. Many in our industry, including myself, still rely heavily upon spreadsheets to manage large data sets.
However, the amount of native data and data within reach has grown drastically, and can quickly become unwieldy.
An example of a live reporting dashboard from Klipfolio.
Technology to the rescue!
Business intelligence (BI) is a necessary cog in the machine when it comes to running a successful business. The first step to incorporating BI into your business strategy is to adopt real-time reporting. Much like using Google Maps (yet another API!) on your phone to find your way to a new destination, data visualization companies like Klipfolio, Domo, and Tableau have built live reporting dashboards to help you navigate the wild world of online marketing. These interactive dashboards allow you in integrate data from several sources to better assist you in making real-time decisions.
For example, you could bring your ad campaign, social, and web analytics data into one place and track key metrics and overall performance in real-time. This would allow you to delegate extra resources towards what’s performing best, pulling resources from lagging activities in the funnel as they are occurring. Or perhaps you want to be ahead of the curve and integrate some deep learning into your analysis? Bringing in an API like Alchemy or a custom set-up from Algorithmia could help determine what the next trends are before they even happen. This is where the business world is heading; you don’t want to fall behind.
Resistance is futile.
The possibilities of real-time data analysis are numerous, and the first step towards embracing this new-age necessity is to get your first, simple dashboard set up. We’re here to help. In fact, our friends at Klipfolio were nice enough to give us step-by-step instructions on integrating our Mozscape data, Hubspot data, and social media metrics into their live reporting dashboard — even providing a live demo reporting dashboard. This type of dash allows you to easily create reports, visualize changes in your metrics, and make educated decisions based on hard data.
Create a live reporting dashboard featuring Moz, Hubspot and social data
1. First, you’ll need to create your Mozscape API key. You’ll need to be logged into your existing Moz account, or create a free community or pro Moz account. Once you’re logged in and on the API key page, press “Generate Key.”
2. This is the key you’ll use to access the API and is essentially your password. This is also the key you’ll use for step 6, when you’re integrating this data into Klipfolio.
3. Create a free 14-day Klipfolio trial. Then select “Add a Klip.”
4. The Klip Gallery contains pre-built widgets for your whatever your favorite services might be. You can find Klips for Facebook, Instagram, Alexa, Adobe, Google Adwords and Analytics, and a bunch of other useful integrations. They’re constantly adding more. Plus, in Klipfolio, you can build your own widgets from scratch.
For now, let’s keep it simple. Select “Moz” in the Klip Gallery.
5. Pick the Klip you’d like to add first, then click “Add to Dashboard.”
6. Enter your API key and secret key. If you don’t have one already, you can get your API key and secret ID here.
7. Enter your company URL, followed by your competitors’ URLs.
8. Voilà — it’s that easy! Just like that, you have a live look at backlinks on your own dash.
9. From here, you can add any other Moz widgets you want by repeating steps 5–8. I chose to add in MozRank and Domain Authority Klips.
10. Now let’s add some social data streams onto our dash. I’m going to use Facebook and Twitter, but each of the main social media sites have similar setup processes.
11. Adding in other data sources like Hubspot, Searchmetrics, or Google Analytics simply requires you to bet set up with those parties and to allow Klipfolio access.
12. Now that we have our Klips set up, the only thing left to do is arrange the layout to your liking.
After you have your preferred layout, you’re all set! You’ve now entered the world of business intelligence with your first real-time reporting dashboard. After the free Klipfolio trial is complete, it’s only $20/month to continue reporting like the pros. I haven’t found many free tools in this arena, but this plan is about as close as you’ll come.
Take a look at a live demo reporting dash, featuring all of the sources we just went over:
Just like that, you’ve joined the ranks of Big SEO, reporting like the big industry players. In future posts we’ll bring you more tutorials on building simple tools, utilizing data, and mashing it up with outside sources to better help you navigate the ever-changing world of online business. There’s no denying that, as SEO and marketing professionals, you’re always looking for that next great innovation to give you and your customers a competitive advantage.
From Netflix transitioning into an API-centric business to Amazon diving into the API management industry, the largest and most influential companies out there realize that utilizing large data sets via APIs is the future. Follow suit: Let big data and business intelligence be your guiding light!
Sign up for The Moz Top 10, a semimonthly mailer updating you on the top ten hottest pieces of SEO news, tips, and rad links uncovered by the Moz team. Think of it as your exclusive digest of stuff you don’t have time to hunt down but want to read!