Direct mail is a great way for you to spread the word about your business and increase sales. Direct mail also drives more traffic to your website, and as a result, more people sign up for your mailing list. How do you ensure your direct mail avoids being tossed out as junk mail? Here are a few tips:
1. Include relevant information: To entice people to give your mailer a second look, provide them with pertinent information. For example, realtors often send data about recent home sale prices in the neighborhood. This bit of information inspires people to pay notice to the mailer and gives the brand some extra attention.
2. Personalize your mailer: Most people take extra notice when they see their name. Instead of just the address block, include your prospect’s name within the content of your mailer. If you have information on your customers purchase history, send them a specific promotion to buy again or offer similar types of products.
3. Give an incentive: Provide a limited time promotional code or buy one get one offer. If you want the receiver to respond, an incentive works well. For example, an insurance company can offer a portable cooler in the summer for anyone who calls for a quote.
4. Target your audience: To be truly effective in a direct mail campaign you need to target your audience. Find people in your specific niche market instead of mass mailing to everyone. For example, vacation cruise lines often target retirees who may have more time to travel. Companies offering baby-related products can send offers to those who are subscribing to parenting magazines.
5. Attach something to keep: To keep your company’s name at the top of customer’s mind, attach something with your logo that they want to keep. Examples include refrigerator magnet clips, post-its or local baseball team schedules with your contact information.
6. Combine direct mail with email: Follow up with an email reminding prospects of your mail offer to further the response rate. Emails can also be sent before direct mail to let your customers know that a mail offer can be expected.
As with all marketing campaigns, it’s important to evaluate success. That way you can compare different tactics to see what works best for your business!
© 2015, VerticalResponse Blog. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.